Commissioner Training is broken up into four (4) main groups with each section available both online or in-person (usually through the College of Commissioner Science):
- These courses acquaint the new Commissioner with Aims and Methods of Scouting, as well as the various programs under the BSA umbrella.
- Before First Meeting
- These courses orient the Commissioner the Commissioner Service and the Tools at the Commissioners’ disposal.
- First 30 Days
- These course provide training on the various organizational structures that the Commissioners operate in.
- Within 90 Days
- These trainings explore the continuum of Commissioner Training and set the stage for the completion of the On-Boarding Process.
ONBOARDING PROGRESS RECORD
Each new Commissioner should Download the linked forms (fillable) and record your progress–
Continuing Education takes many forms. There are the trainings associated with monthly District or Council meetings. There is the College of Commissioner Sciences which bring together Commissioners from the larger Area for Annual Training events. There are also National Training opportunities.
At the monthly District Commissioner meetings, the District Commissioners Staff works to ensure that the entire Commissioner Corps stays up-to-date on all trainings.
College of Commissioner Sciences
Each each the Golden Gate Area Council partners with the other area Councils to hold the NorCal Commissioners College. This is an opportunity to meet Commissioners from around the region and the Nation. The College offers Commissioner Science Degrees from Associates to Doctorate.
- National Commissioner staff regularly offers week-long training courses at the Philmont Training Center at Philmont Scout Ranch.
- PTC 2021 Commissioner Courses (June 6-12)
- Each National Region also conducts Impact Sessions, which are weekend events.
- With advances in technology, the National Commissioner Staff is able to conduct remote Virtual Impact Sessions, which ease the travel burdens and facilitates greater participation.