The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) renews its federal charter (originally granted in 1916) each year through reporting to Congress. The BSA, in turn, grants charters to sponsoring (chartered) organizations who must report to Scouting annually to renew their local charters.
Rechartering is the process where a Scout unit renews its charter as an official part of the Boy Scouts of America. The process involves:
- An online update of the unit’s rosters (including adding/subtracting members, updating contact information for individuals or your unit’s chartering organization,
- Submitting to GGAC the final Recharter detailed printout with the hard-copy signatures,
- Payment of fees including:
- Registration fees to the National BSA organization,
- Council Program Fees (CPF) to GGAC,
The overall Recharter process will go quickly and smoothly if the follow items are done.
- As soon as possible make sure your unit roster is complete. If you are missing a scouter or leader, send a copy of the BSA Youth or Adult Application to your district executive ASAP for processing. (the unit roster in the recharter system will then be updated).
- Make sure ALL adult leaders are current on the Youth Protection Training (YPT) through at least February 2021.
- Complete and turn in your Recharters by December 4.
Need your unit’s recharter packet or need help? Contact your district field professional.A
To log into the Recharter System go to Web Tools in My.Scouting.org or click on the BEGIN YOUR RECHARTER button.
Recharter Packet Documents
Each Unit Recharter packet includes (click on each to download):
- Unit Recharter Process 2021 / Online Recharter Procedure (incl. online access code)
- Unit Recharter Renewal Roster printout
- 2021 Charter Renewal Turn In Checklist
- Annual Charter Agreement
- BSA Adult Application (includes ADBCA form)
- Additional Disclosures & Background Check Authorization (ADBCA) form (eff. Oct 2019) – required if the leader did not turn in the form last year or this year
- BSA Youth Application
- 2020 Scouting’s Journey to Excellence (JTE) scorecards – program specific forms
- Unit Recharter Supplement form – list of unit program volunteers